Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My central ac unit freezes over when the weather gets really

Customer Question

My central ac unit freezes over when the weather gets really hot what can I do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your AC unit. A unit that freezes up can be caused by several possible things: poor airflow, plugged furnace filter, dirty coil (inside) or a problem with the actual closed refrigeration system such as low on charge or a restriction in the system. Start by checking your furnace filter, make sure its clean. Check the airflow through the house from the vents, is it strong? Finally when the system is not iced (such as after it's sat a while) check the larger copper line running into the unit (the one with black foam around it). With the AC on, this line should feel "beer can cold" and be slightly sweating.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Did you still need assistance with this?