BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I am installing, or at least trying to install a new Honeywell

Customer Question

I am installing, or at least trying to install a new Honeywell thermostat RTH8580 on a Trane Heat pump. Ion the system there is a red wire already connected in the "c" spot. However, there is a folded blue wire at both the thermostat and at the heat pump unit. Do I disconnect the red wire that is currently in the "c" spot on the heat pump and connect the blue wire in the "c" spot and then connect the blue wire in the "c" spot where the thermostat is?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
what is currently on R or rc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a red wire on R
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
thank you...so to confirm you have (2) red wires...one on R and one on C?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes at the unit. There is only one red wire at the thermostat that is connected to r. There is a blue wire wrapped at both ends to nothing that the instructions say I could use for c on both the unit and the thermostat. Since there was already a wire connected to c at the unit I didn't know if I could connect the blue wire with the already connected red wire
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Ok,,,C can have more than one wire. It is similar to a neutral bar.Use blue at C in thermostat and then ADD the blue to C at unit. Good thing you asked ,,this is the biggest cause of shorting things out and we take those daily...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
you are very welcome..just rate service an I will move off active list Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it works! We are all good.. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome....and seriously...thanks for checking instead of just diving in...it can get expensive...well done!
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
I still show on active list..are we all set or did you need more help?