airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My Honeywell thermostat chronotherm iv plus display stopped working last night. We have re

Customer Question

My Honeywell thermostat chronotherm iv plus display stopped working last night. We have replaced the batteries, cycled the disconnect, etc. Does the condenser or fan coil or what control the unit? The fan works when you turn it to on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
The thermostat is usually powered by 24 volts from indoor unit.Do you have a volt meter to see if we are getting 24volts between C and R terminals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No volt meter at the moment...
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK do you see a number on thermostat like 8600,8601 or 8602?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only number I see is on the bottom: 32001057-001 of the flip down
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Lest do this. Disconnect the R wire and the Y wire at thermostat and touch the wires together and see if outdoor unit will come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok doing that
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Standing by
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. The furnace came on. The compressor did not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light in the furnace is solid red. Should it be blinking??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says if the light is on, it has 24 volt power. So, that seems ok. So we are here: 1. No display on thermostat and 2. When "jumpstarting" with the 2 wires, the compressor did not come on.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK We know furnace has 120v and we know transformer is good since inside came on.It seems like we may be losing the COMMON wire somewhere. Look closely at wires going to thermostat and outdoor unit and make sure the Common (usually Blue from furnace) are all connected ,(Not loose wire nut or something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, checking outdoor wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't look like anything is loose outside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is connected ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Putting in new 40amp fuses at the a/c condenser to see if that works.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
WE may have tom get a volt meter to troubleshoot or call in a tech.You can pick one up at Lowes or Walmart for about 30 bucks if you want
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have one...just not here at the moment. A/C went out during the night last night. Techs are slammed and can't get out here for a couple days.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK what we have is this. Transformer has two l;ow voltage wires.One is "Hot" and goes to R at thermostat. Other is COMMON and goes to C at thermostat if the thermostat has a C and also to compressor conatctor, fan relay, gas valve, etc.The "hot" and "Common " provide constant 24 v to thermostat so batteries are not needed.On call for cool, R and G close and send power to fan relay. ON call for Cool, R and Y close sending power to outdoor contactor and on call for Heat, R and W close sending signal to furnace.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying the new fuses now. Everything has power. Let's see if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing from the thermostat and the condenser won't turn on. What happens if the condenser freezes up? Could it do all of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, there are batteries in the thermostat.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Only way condenser freezing could iniate this situation is if furnace borad got wet when it thatwed and water dripped down. You should have display if you have batteries .Do you still have display just ac will not come on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No display. Can a thermostat go bad all of a sudden like that?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Thermostat can take a surge and go bad all of a sudden, but it appears we have more than one issue going on here.I was suspecting thermostat may be the issue is why I had you bypass it by connecting R and Y wires ,but with those wires connected, thermostat is bypassed and outdoor should come on. If you did not leave those wires together for 5 minutes , lets do it again and give it 5 minutes to see if outdoor will come on as there may be a time delay in the outdoor unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I'm gonna try it for 5 min..
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I will stand by
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While we are waiting... there is a switch in the back that has E and F. It's switched to the F side. What is that and is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. It's been over 5 min and it still hasn't come on. Just the fan is blowing
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
There are several models in The Chronotherm iv, but that switch I believe tells thermostat if fan is controlled by a Furnace or Electric air handler.Don't you have gas heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK we undoubltly have more than one issue going on here,1.The thermostat should display with batteries even if not on wall2.Bypassing thermostat by connecting R and Y should bring on outdoor unitI understand we have not solved the issue for you.I can opt out and see if other experts can assist without having the meter there or we can request a refund of your deposit if unsatisfied, Leaving a negative rating does not refund your deposit but reflects poorly on expert.Just let me know what you would like to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I'm gonna have to wait the couple days for the tech to come out. :( Thank you very much for your help!
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I understand,Do you want me to request a refund? Until you rate answer question will stay open and your deposit will sit on hold.If you leave a positive rating question is closed and your deposit is applied.If you leave poor rating it is directed back to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please. There is no way for me to rate. The stars don't get highlighted or anything.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Will do and thanks for allowing me to work with you.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
If you do not see refund, you may contact administrators