Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I recently replaced a dual run capacitor on my ac. It worked

Customer Question

I recently replaced a dual run capacitor on my ac. It worked for a few days, but now is not running again. I went out and checked my work (again) and found that a red wire is loose. I'm plugged it back in, according to the schematic and the AC still wont start. I checked the breakers and am hearing a click. I attempted to start the motor with a stick, but it wont go. Did this short (the red wire caused a burn spot on the inside of the AC) ruin the capacitor or do you think I've screwed up something else?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your AC. Yes, it's possible that when the red wire came loose, something else got messed up. Check around everywhere for a burned off wire. Where did the red wire go (besides the capacitor)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red wire went to the switch with all the other red wires. I have a picture I can text you if that would help
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Actually if you can save the pic to your PC and upload here to the site using the small paperclip icon at the top of the answer box, that would help. In fact any additional pics you can provide would help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added pic. The burn is identified. The wire I am holding in my hand. The "Connected To" is where the wire goes.Trane 2TTB3048
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the old capacitor. The new one is the same size/start capacity. The new one is a bit smaller in diameter, thus the cardboard padding to hold things in place.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked breakers? Fuses in disconnect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the breakers. I have 244v at the disconnect (above the fuses), with my multimeter.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
240 volts at L1 and L2 of contactor? Contactor "pulling down" when you call for cooling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what the L1 and L2 are. The slots where the disconnect goes is where i'm get 244v.There is a click when the Thermostat gets turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the voltmeter at the bottom of the contactor and am only getting a couple volts. Not sure if unit has to take an "on" command.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
On your contactor (the part that the wire came off) if you look closely, you have 4 terminals or screws labeled T1, T2, L1, and L2. I need to know if the terminals marked L1 and L2 have 240 volts across. Also, the contactor has a spring loaded part that should "pull down" when the thermostat is set to cooling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the unit need to be on via the thermostat for this to show 240?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Nope, L1 and L2 should have 240 without thermostat calling for cooling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see attached pics. At top I am getting 0 volts. At bottom, I am getting 1.5V. Hopefully I'm measuring in the right place. I didnt see anything labeled like what you mentioned.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
That's the correct place. If the breaker is not tripped in the house, then you have a blown fuse in the disconnect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. So the disconnect is before the fuses. That makes perfect sense. That's why I'm getting 244 there. If I measure after, its only a volt or 2. I will run to homedepot and get 2 50a fuses and be back. I've checked the breakers, and flipped them all off/on for good measure numerous times, and I am getting juice at the disconnect, so I'm pretty sure its not a breaker.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, when the wire touched, it blew a fuse, most likely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting 244 as indicated on the picture. On the poles marked R and L, im getting voltage of abtou 1.5-2v, (same as L1 and l2). So yea, fuses. THanks for all your help. I'll kill breakers and go buy fuses and replace and then provide 5* feedback.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how things work out.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
How'd it go with the new fuses?