Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

BilBilly I'm amanda. We live in Texas and the temp is well

Customer Question

Hi bilBilly I'm amanda. We live in Texas and the temp is well over 100 with an index of 115 so our ac no working isnt good. Our fan inside is running but the outside unit is not running so no cool air is coming in the house. I need help fast please
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The outside unit has probably over heated and gone off on its high pressure safety switch. Turn the power off to the unit and use a garden hose to blast water through the coil but be sure to keep the water off of the fan motor and the electrical compartment... if the coil was very dirty use two cans of foaming air conditioner coil cleaner on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDtT6hSpV4s let it cool off for an hour, then turn the AC back on again, if it runs and cools you have fixed it...if it does not run, then get back to me with a photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the electrical service panel of the ac unit that sits outside. make sure the photo is well focused, well lit, taken up close and from straight on... use the paper clip to attach it here. We can go from there..........We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not it I can hear it buzzing but the fan won't turn. Our transformer blew this morning had that fixed and the air conditioning unit hasn't worked since that happened.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Tell me please who fixed the blown transformer and why they were unable to get the system working... what did they tell you regarding why they could not get the system working. You should know that these are very complex systems, the community college courses on these are 20 units for 4 semesters (2 years) about 30% of the students graduate, after 10 years or so of practice some get good at it. On this end I must begin with the most obvious... we can surely jump around at random, but a targeted approach is much better. Tell me what the man said that could not get the system working, and about how old the system is... this will be the second of many steps, if we stay with them I can have the situation sorted out in no time. Please hold your rating until we get the system problem solved. ..