Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a Kelvinator Heat Pump Model T3BC 036K, sn: 73B000350397.

Customer Question

I have a Kelvinator Heat Pump Model T3BC 036K, sn: 73B000350397. The air handling unit motor quit. I replaced the capacitor (diagnosed as bad by a technician) Replaced it for $137.00. Unit ran for 3-4 minutes. Motor was bad. Replaced the motor for $305.00. Unit ran for another 3-4 minutes. Circuit breaker diagnosed as problem. Replaced it. Another $129.00 service call plus $160.00 part. Nothing works. Now I'm told the step down transformer is the problem. Tech wants $379.00 plus service call. Where do I find this part so I can install it my self? Bob C.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob, I'm Brian and I'm here to help! Wow! I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing with your heat pump and the technician! I must say it sounds like a blind man diagnosing your system. An obvious "parts changer" not a diagnostician. Click Here for a link to a transformer that would work in 90% of ac/heat pump systems. The price quote to change the transformer is outrageous (as you will see by the cost of the part)! It is not inline with his other charges at all, especially the motor change out (which is a quite reasonable charge for that service). My faith in your problem being a transformer alone is slim. Just by the parts he's changed to try to remedy the problem, it would appear he doesn't know how to use a multimeter and has no diagnostic skills. If I were you, I would be making loud noises to his boss! It's their responsibility to send out a qualified repair tech when you call for repair. If you are the least bit handy, can upload and attach pictures, have some basic hand tools and a $20 multimeter (available at the big box improvement stores), for an additional service offer of $50 I can help you diagnose your system better than he can! It racks me to no end that owners send unqualified people out to perform and then charge top dollar! Let me know how I can help further.Thanks, -Brian