Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a single heating, single a/c compressor unit that operates

Customer Question

I have a single heating, single a/c compressor unit that operates in 2 zones. one zone does not respond to the thermostat orders. the air conditioning/heating runs whenever one of the other zones has ordered service. If I turn the thermostat off that operates that zone, nothing happens. If I set the thermostat for air at 72 degrees, it does not respond. As a result, the room is hot in the winter and cold in the summer. I have been maintaining the thermostat in the "off" mode but it has no effect. Lennox (p)x4146 for all 3 thermostats.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,So far it sounds like the damper in the zone that stays on all the time is a spring loaded type that opens wide when there is no power to it... and only closes when power is applied through the zone control panel. Either the damper motor has failed, a wire that feeds it has broken or the zone relay has failed, or the thermostat is defective. This diagnosis is involved. Tell me a lot about your technical skills and I coach you most effectively, you will need a multi meter in that case. If those skills are not in your bag of tricks, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city, and I will look for a well qualified and well rated service outfit in your area. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not that sophisticated. I am 20 miles north of Greenville sc and 15 miles south of Hendersonville, NC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again http://www.championcomfortexperts.com/***-***-**** http://horizonheatac.com/***-***-**** Both are well rated established companies who can no doubt solve the problem.Let me know how it goes..........We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost. .