Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Outside ac unit stopped working - turned braker off and back

Customer Question

outside ac unit stopped working - turned braker off and back on started working is that all there is to it
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Something caused the breaker to trip. The cause needs to be investigated.If you are lucky the breaker tripped during a utility company low voltage even (brown out) and your compressor would draw very high amperage and trip the breaker in that case. Nothing you can do about that, the breaker did its job.OR... there may be loose wire connections at the breaker, that will cause the breaker to over heat and trip. Or.. there could be a problem developing in the ac unit, such as bad run capacitors or wire terminals over heating and starting to burn off. It will be a good idea to call in a local HVAC outfit, and tell them that you want them to go over all of the wire connections in the system and make sure that none are loose or starting to burn.. including at the breaker. Ask them to measure the amperage draw on the compressor and tell you what it is and how it compares to the Full Load Amperage on the unit name plate...and how hot a day it is when the amperage was measured. Ask them to proceed with a full service while they are out, include a condenser coil cleaning if the unit is over 5 years old. If you need help locating a well rated company in your area, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will take a look for you.-----------We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.