Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

MY ac unit inside and out are cutting off prior to reaching

Customer Question

MY ac unit inside and out are cutting off prior to reaching the desired temp. it will cut back on after some time. could this be anything else beside the tstat? I dont have a condensadation drain pump
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, that sort of behavior is generally not caused by the thermostat. There could be a small float fit into the condensate drain line, that rises if the drain is partially clogged, then when the water finally drains out, the float drops and allows the unit to run again. Or.. it could be that your system is low on refrigerant and going off on its low pressure cut out switch. Make sure there is a new air filter in the system. Then use a thermometer to measure the cold air outlet temperature at one of the supply air grills... then use the same thermometer to measure the room temperature while the outside unit is still running. Tell me what reads you get. Next, while the outside unit is still running, feel the largest copper tube attached to the outside unit (it is the one that is insulated) tell me please if its just cool or if it is sweating or if it has frost on it. We can go from there.