Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a Trane XR80 heating & cooloing system installed by

Customer Question

We have a Trane XR80 heating & cooloing system installed by Hague Heating & AC in NJ. This system was installed brand new in Nov. 2013. It worked well through May 2015. Suddenly in late June, the AC went totally dead including the fans. Nothing worked. Hague came out and did some mysterious tinkering, left with unit working, never really telling us what was wrong. Last week, the same thing happened once again; this time Hague never returns calls, nor makes any serious attempt to reach out to me. Since it was 95 degrees this past weekend, we needed the AC to be working. We had to contact a competing company, AJ Perri and they worked with us Friday night, got it working, then it failed again; Saturday (7/18) a senior Perri tech came out and seems to have fixed it, but keep in mind Hague seemed to have fixed it for a a couple weeks before it failed again last week. The AJ Perri techs explained what the issue is - the wires which connect the outside to the inside keep shorting out inside and blowing the fuse. I am rather amazed that a certified Trane tech would wire the system poorly, but if not that, then what? My cursory conclusions are Hague is either incompetent or Trane is not a good system. Any comments? Perri put a 3 amp fuse in place of the burned out 5 amp. They said this will help protect the costly Trane system board.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your AC. This can be frustrating. There are many causes for the 3 amp fuse to blow on the board. Installing a larger fuse is not the answer. One of the things that I've seen cause a problem with the fuse is a defective "saver switch". This is installed by your utility company outside the house. If you don't have one of these, a defective thermostat can also cause the 3 amp fuse to blow.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have additional questions on this or we can troubleshoot through to an answer.