Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Douglas.. I am connecting capacitor back on Carrier... lost

Customer Question

Hi Douglas.. I am connecting capacitor back on Carrier... lost the old color diag.. so thinking blue = Fan... Brown = Herm and Yellow to Com.. not sure if that is correct.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! Can you tell me a little bit more about the unit and I'll get that info for you quickly! What is the model number of your Carrier outdoor unit? Thanks,Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me check
Very good, standing by...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
58PAV135-20
I'm a bit confused by the model number you gave and the fact that your capacitor had Com, Fan and Herm terminals. Are you working on your furnace or the air conditioning unit? The capacitor terminals indicate an ac unit. Typically on a Carrier outdoor unit, the Yellow wire will be on the Com terminal, the Blue wire on the Herm terminal and the Brown wire on the Fan terminal on a compressor/condenser fan dual run capacitor. I would need the model number of the outdoor unit (ac unit) to confirm that 100% though. If you're working on your furnace, then you have the wrong capacitor for the blower motor. That capacitor should have only two terminal posts. Let me know either way and I'll clarify things. Thanks,Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ac unit.. but outside AC unit does not have model number
visible.
Ah, ok thanks! The way for you to confirm my suggestion above is to follow the wires. The yellow should go to the compressor contactor, the blue to the compressor and the brown to the fan motor. I'm reasonably sure that's the case but without a model number I can't confirm it. You can by following the wires though. If there is more than one yellow wire, they both (all yellow) go on the com terminal. Let me know how it goes! Thanks,Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I go ahead and make error
. what is worst case thing that could happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI I FOUND MODEL NUMBER 38CKC060300
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PROD.. 38CK060 ---- 301---
SERIAL 2799E04821
Thanks for the model number. Yes, my suggested wiring above is 100% correct. Thanks,Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so Brown to FAN.. Yellow to COm or Herm?
Brown to Fan, Yellow to COM and Blue to HERM -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brian. btw. I work with 5 Brian's at my work. one is spelled Bryan..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all Good folk.
You're welcome! Wow that's a lot of B's! Let me know how it goes! If you have further questions, please reply. Otherwise please remember to rate positively! Bonuses are welcome and much appreciated! Best regards,Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is working. the fan has started and we are getting cool air.
Awesome! I'm glad I could help! Thanks for using Just Answer! Have a great day! Brian!