Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a carrier ac unit that is set at 78 degrees. When I

Customer Question

I have a carrier ac unit that is set at 78 degrees. When I went to push the arrow down to lower the temp, it shocked me and immediately the control panel went blank.
Help please!
Thank you!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,If you have carpeting, especially nylon or deep pile, you probably picked up a charge of static electricity and when you touched the thermostat that electric charge (tiny lightning bolt) went into the thermostat and destroyed the electronics inside. Have you felt that before when touching a door knob... after walking across the carpet. It is unlikely that the electric charge came from the thermostat, it operates on very low voltage that you unlikely to feel a shock from. If the thermostat has batteries in it, you can take them out and put them in backwards, leave it that way for 5 minutes with the thermostat on, then remove the batteries and replace them in the right positions... that works about half the time. Let me know if that makes any sense on your end or not, be can go from there.