Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Heil outside ac unit. Fan is coming on, but no cold

Customer Question

I have a Heil outside ac unit. Fan is coming on, but no cold air sometimes. Sometimes the breaker trips, sometimes not. Wondering if it could be the compressor capacitor, but no markings on it. Don't have a capacitance meter to test. It's oval 2 terminal & approx. 10" tall
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are a couple of pics
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, you need multi meter with a micro farad (capacitance) scale on it, and ideally a clamp around amp meter to properly diagnose the unit. Or if you have an old style multi meter with a needle and dial, not digital, we can use that to do an 80% reliable read on the capacitor. We can use that to check resistance between C, S and R at the compressor terminals and from each terminal to ground as well. You can get a decent digital multi meter for $30 to $50... make sure it has a capacitance scale on it. a service call will cost you three or four times that, so it will not be a bad idea to get something. We can go from there.