airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

On a carrier ac system the outside unit isn't running and the

Customer Question

On a carrier ac system the outside unit isn't running and the interior control panel is telling me: Malfunction Alter. 82-Thermal Lockout in High Stage 4 hours 4 events. Any ideas how to fix this?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this can be caused from a few things, but mainly Carrier has had issues with the board on the units. Now you would need to check if the system is undercharged, the capacitors are good and also check the connections on the board itself. They often get loose and can cause a false positive error like you are getting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds beyond my expertise. Any fixes I can try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This hasn't helped me address the problem so I can't give a good rating (and don't think I should have to pay for an unresolved problem) but know you won't want a poor rating. Can you improve on the answer or give me any trouble shooting suggestions?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if another expert can assist you better, do not rate this and another expert will be along
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Your compressor is cutting out in internal overload.This can be caused by a loose wire to compressor,compressor is sticking ,failed start relay or a bad capacitor.I would start by looking at the capacitor and see if looks puffy or swollen.If so this is most likely the culprit. If not we will need a meter that reads capacitance and ac voltage to troubleshoot.Let me know and we can go from here.