Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Kenmore power miser 9 40 gallon model###-##-####

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore power miser 9 40 gallon model###-##-#### ***** can light the pilot light and turn the temperature control knob from pilot to a higher temp . the flame starts as usual and starts heating the water. After 5 to 10 minutes the heater shuts down and stops heating the water. the pilot light goes off also. I can do the same thing over and over and end up with hot water. I took an air compressor and blew out any dust and dirt inside by the pilot light, but the pilot light keeps going off after 5 to 10 minutes
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You need to check the air intake openings around the base of the heater. Vacuum the screen at the intake. If that doesn't work then pull the burner and vacuum the air inlet under the burner. If you're still having the same problem after doing that you'll probably have to replace the thermostatic gas control valve. If the heater is more than 8 years old and has seen heavy use the cost of a new gas valve may not be worth the expense since the tank could leak at any time