airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a 1f78 White Rodgers thermostat has somehow set itself

Customer Question

I have a 1f78 White Rodgers thermostat has somehow set itself to 85 degrees and I can
not reset it to the proper temp. Non of the up/down or other reset buttons will work.
It does not say it needs new batteries but I put new batteries in just in case but it did not help.
If I put the fan button on on or automatic it does work but none of the other buttons will do anything.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Lets start by trying a reset.To reset the thermostat
try pressing up and down arrows at the same time while moving
the SYSTEM switch from OFF to HEAT.
If this does not work you can consider the following:
There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.
Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced to thermostat on Saturday. I was told the wait time would be 8 minutes but it too 2 days.The temp was in the 90's so I could not wait as my wife has asthma .
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I understand.Usually there are techs online most all of the time.Glad you gott it fixed. You may request a refund of your deposit if unsatisfied,Leaving a negative rating does not automatically refund your money but reflects poorly on expert who attempted to assist you. Thanks again.