airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Lennox 14acx not cooking below 75 degrees. In Houston and it's

Customer Question

Lennox 14acx not cooking below 75 degrees. In Houston and it's 99 this week. What should we check before calling an HVAC company?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.
Do both indoor and outdoor units come on when you call for cool at thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is cooling but not below 75
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK next, can you tell if the compressor is actually coming on in outdoor unit or just fan? Feel of the large copper piping leaving outdoor unit and tell me if it is beer can cold, cool or outdoor temp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is cold
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say 50 degrees
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK .If ac is cooling to 75 on a 99 degree day, it is probably doing the best it can do.AS a contractor here in south Alabama , we receive about 3 calls a week on these days with triple digit heat index days where there is not much we can do.
Most contractors size equipment based on a manual j load calculation as recommended by national guidelines.Since Houstons design summer temp is 94 degrees, that is what the system is probably designed to cool.
The unit is probably doing all it can and a service call will result in being told there is not much they can do.
Make sure filters are clean and curtains or blinds are closed where possible to help the situation.
Apart from upgrading to a larger system, you might consider adding a small window ,portable or mini split to help out with the access load on these hot days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Wish I had better nws and there was more we cold do, but I think the unit is doing all it can.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.