Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I am a home owner and recently had a new frigidaire

Customer Question

Hello. I am a home owner and recently had a new frigidaire fg7tc installed. it's running but doesn't seem to have much air output. the house isn't cooling off as much as i had hoped. the house had been vacant, however, and it is very hot and humid in st louis this year. is there a fan setting that could increase air output? thanks!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! The short answer is yes, the blower speed can be changed for a higher output. However, there's a caveat. A cooling system should be 'tuned' to your home's installation. If you set the blower speed too high, you may end up with a very humid home since a higher blower speed will remove less moisture in the air under normal circumstances. It's important the the unit's blower be set properly for the matching outdoor unit. Ideally when the unit is operating properly and the humidity in your home is between 50%-55%, the difference in temperature across your cooling coil should be 18-22 deg. F. If you're in that range, you really shouldn't change the blower speed, the unit is doing it's best. If you're not in that range then there may be an issue. Perhaps your refrigerant charge is not quite right, or the installers didn't set the furnace's blower speed correctly to begin with. You have a variable speed blower in your furnace and it's capable of many different speeds. The blower speed is dependent on a bank of switch settings on the blower control board. If you think you have a problem there, you should have your installer come out and discuss it with them. They can check that you have the blower set properly and adjust it if necessary. Please reply if you have further questions about this. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very much appreciated! Thank you,Brian