Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I am looking installing a Honeywell RTH6500WF wifi

Customer Question

I am looking for help installing a Honeywell RTH6500WF wifi thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I will be happy to assist you with this. Do you need help with wiring? If so please provide me with model on indoor and outdoor units and let me know what wires currently go to old thermostat terminals. If you can upload a photo showing old thermoststat wiring will be helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heater installed when house was built (1992)
I add a zone control (thermostat up stairs and down stair)
I also added a humidifier.
wifi will be installed up stairs only.
I do not have a c wire or an extra wire at wifi location. I will be using a 9 volt transformer for power.
I have jpegs of all working part and wiring for heater/thermostats/ plus wifi thermostat.
I do not need help in connecting to internet or setting up wifi Installation only.
Thank you for your help
I believe a little history may help you understand the situation.When the technician installed the humidifier and zone controls he ran a new set of wires to the down stairs thermostat only.
The upstairs thermostat remained the same
i have photos of all the panels
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Excellent job with the pictures. However I am not familiar with wiring the zone system and using an external 9v transformer.I thought you just needed help wiring and setting up thermostat with a single zone system .Rather than waste your time while I try to familiarize myself with the situation and how it works I am going to opt out and allow an expert more comfortable with this to assist you.
I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can not read the answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i will wait.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Looks like you don't have central AC is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heating only
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the you can install a 24 volt transformer (not a 9v) and use that to power the wi fi thermostat. You run the 24 volt transformer (secondary) leads to RC & C on the wi fi stat and remove the jumper between R & RC before you power up the new transformer. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looking at the wires at the furance panel the green wire for upstairs is not connected where do i connect the white and red?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The connections I mentioned above are at the wi fi thermostat. If you have heat only you should have R, W & G(h) (leads from those furnace terminals)connected at the stat. I can't make any sense of the wiring pictured in your "furnace panel" pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that may be due to the two sets of wiers the tech only ran the new set to downstairs upstairs look like two wiers only green not connected
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The only leads that should be connected at the furnace are R, W & G(h). You only need the C terminal connected if you have a thermostat that requires 24 vac power (like the wi fi stat). Have you tried the wi fi stat with it connected to (powered by) the C on the furnace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not try connecting wifi yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I need to connect the green to GC at the furnace panel
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
G is for manual blower control. So if you put the fan switch on the thermostat to ON instead of AUTO the blower will run even if the heat isn't. The G(c) G(h) designation is unusual and I would associated G(c) with cooling (AC) not heating. I'd try R, W, G & C on the new wi fi stat and at the furnace and see if it works. In most cases it will but there are a fair number of exceptions so if it doesn't then you can use the new 24 vac transformer as I outlined before.My screen shows a payment failure for the additional charge for the phone call. We can probably work the thermostat issue out here. If you still want a call then try again but there is an additional charge and I'm not allowed to call until you make the payment. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the same message i will try the phone rquest again
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
OK