airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My air conditioning keeps kicking on and off. It stays on for

Customer Question

My air conditioning keeps kicking on and off. It stays on for maybe a minute if that and kicks right back off. It's continueously doing this and has been for two days.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Most likely cause is low on refrigerant. The unit will cut on and as soon as suction pressure drops, it cuts out.Then pressures equalize and let it come back on,
Do you have gauges to check refrigerant charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would they be located?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
What is model on the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says model AR24-1
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK this sounds like indoor unit.Is it the inside unit blower that is cutting on and off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so. The outside unit seems to be working, the fan is blowing. But the inside air keeps shutting on and off. But it is blowing out cool air for the time that it comes on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK I thought it was the outdoor that was cycling.
Since it is the indoor the most likley cause is a fan relay in the air handler. This is a common problem with the AR series air handlers. Do you have a volt meter so we can troubleshoot this?
See below for what the relay looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/kANrN4r.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn the air on, the pipe gets a ice on it. I'm not sure if there's a volt meter or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I've got it figured out! Thank you
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
UNit will ice if outdoor keeps running and blower stops. A volt meter is a tool, It will not be part of the equipment. Let me know if you need help troubleshooting or if you just want to replace the relay.