Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Goodman 4-ton system is not cooling that great. We live

Customer Question

My Goodman 4-ton system is not cooling that great. We live in NC and temps are in the 90's. System is 5 yrs and 4 months old and It has two dampers-one for upstairs and one for downstairs. HVAC repair guy came and put in 2 lbs of R-410 freon. Wanted $2300
to replace control panel, two thermostats and two dampers. Told him no and I bought and installed a Honeywell control panel, two Honeywell thermostats and changed the dampers with EWC brand dampers for less than $500. They work great. Air flow is good when
only one damper is open. Not so good when both dampers open. Outside coil unit has been cleaned and looks good. I have not got into evaporator coil yet to look at it. Three questions: 1. Should control panel allow both dampers open at once when both thermostats
are calling for a/c? 2. Is there a way to increase fan speed to the dampers and if so how? 3. Any suggestions for getting my house to cool below 77 degrees? Thank you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
If outside temp is above 95 degrees it is difficult for the AC to pull down below 20 from outside temp. A check you can make is take a thermometer and read the return air temp near filter, Also read the closest supply air register. Should be at least 20 degrees. Anything lower than 20 you have refrigerant problem. Goodman units are not rated as high in btus as others. A 1 A 36,000 actually maybe a 34000. Then hotter it get the less the efficiency. Do the test and let me know temp difference. Also check filter for stoppage/ Russ