Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

A/c quit last night. Air handler is running nonstop, condenser

Customer Question

A/c quit last night. Air handler is running nonstop, condenser is not running at all. No problems indicated on Thermostat. Not sure it it has batteries or not. tried to take Thermostat off and it just came out of the wall. No harem done just have to remount it. It is Carrier Infinity system
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Check the drain line for stopped up drain and tripped float switch. If clogged clean ran. Also feel the motor on top of condenser to see if it is hot. If it is bad capacitor. Check breaker on outside unit to see if tripped. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ook, I am not paying you for this. Seems you didn't even read my post. I said Air handler was running and condenser was not. Nothing to do with the drain.
I read your post. When drain stops up it will shut down outside unit thru float switch to keep unit from flooding. The inside fan will run. You do not have to pay, Just gave you things to check that a service tech would check first. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the drain float switch will shut down the air handler, that is where the water is coming from. air handler shuts down the condenser with shut down. Hey, Learning is fun. This is free. It was a burnt wire in the condenser. I got tired of waiting for an answer.
Great job. Glad you are back online. Russ