Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Central AC Air Handler Question please: I have a B3BM-060-CK

Customer Question

Central AC Air Handler Question please:
I have a B3BM-060-CK 5 ton air handler. I just lost my ac condenser which was charged with R-22 Refrigerant. The new condenser will use R-410A refrigerant I believe.
Q: Can we change the B3BM-060-CK coil for use with R-410A refrigerant?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Yes you can use the existing R-22 rated indoor coil by flushing the traces of mineral oil out of it first (there is a kit made for that used by HVAC technicians), and fitting a refrigerant metering device rated for R-410a. That will work IF this is not a heat pump system... but just a cooling only unit sitting outside and heating provided by a gas or electric furnace. (heat pump systems run head pressures about twice what an R-22 evaporator coil is rated for.) There can also be a greater refrigerant leak potential when doing this, the oil in an R-410a system (polyol ester) is an organic oil that super cleans the inside of old refrigerant tubing and coils, that super cleaning can precipitate leaks in an older system. There are test pressure issues as well, your R-22 coil is rated for 150 psig test pressure, the R-410 coils are rated for much higher test pressures...still, leaks seem to be increasing with the use of R-410a. The industry is looking or an alternative refrigerant for that reason... your older R-22 coil because of its age, lower test pressures, and oil super cleaning issues is a lot more likely to leak than a new R-410a rated coil. If it were mine, I might decide to take the risk, you could always replace the existing R-22 coil later if needed.... IF the outside unit is not a heat pump. If it is a heat pump you will need to replace the indoor coil. Let me know about all that, we can go from there. -------We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.