BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Having a problem with AC. Had they freon recharged couple

Customer Question

Having a problem with AC. Had they freon recharged couple weeks ago. After that, it ran fine. One week ago, came home to find that one fin on the fan blade had broken and bound up on shroud. Installed new fan today, units runs for 1 minute and shuts down. Entire system shuts down. Fan and compressor. Have to turn off/on breaker for it to restart. Comes back on, shuts off after one minute. Would a bad motor cause the whole system to shut down?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
is the fan spinning the correct direction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. My replacement blade is a CW fan, and motor is CCW. Can I reverse motor somehow?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Most motors you can...what is make model of the new motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original motor I have not replaced yet. I have a rescue motor if I need to replace. Wanted to change direction on existing motor to try.The new blade I bought is smaller than the original. The original is 22", the replacement is 20, with a slightly smaller blade. Will this negatively affect the AC, once the motor is going the right direction?The original motor is broad-ocean motor.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
the unit will run with smaller blade but will run hotter. The blade is designed for the size of the coil and the rpm of the motor.
I have done it just to get by until I could get correct one.
The Rescue can be switched direction wise....but the smaller blade may cause a high head pressure.