Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a carlin ez-1 oil burner hot water heater with

Customer Question

I have a carlin ez-1 oil burner for my hot water heater with a carlin 48245 oil primary control. We ran out of oil recently so I filled the tank and bled the line prior to restarting as I have done successfully in the past. This time there is no ignition/ flame. I repeated the bleeding and there is a strong flow of fuel. I also checked the eye, which was clean. Held down reset button for 3 seconds but still nothing. Any ideas
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If you've bled all the air out at the bleeder fitting on the burner pump and still aren't getting ignition the nozzle could be clogged or you might have an issue with the transformer or the electrodes. I'm not clear on the 3 second reference. Is the burner currently locked out and not restarting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This version of the 48245 has a single red light that when lit continuously means it's locked out according to the top of the reset switch. They ask you to hold the reset down for three seconds then release.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I release it, everything sounds normal except I don't hear the fire or see it through the door on the side of the tank
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
So the burner isn't starting when you hold the button down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The burner starts but does not ignite. No fire
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so we're back to the issues I mentioned before: clogged nozzle, weak transformer, incorrect electrode gapping or fault
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have someone bringing over a new carlin 48245 switch this afternoon, I will replace it to rule out some of the issues.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
It's highly unlikely that the ignition control is the culprit since the burner is starting up. In fact the burner starting up is evidence that the control is not the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's good to know. Where would you recommend I start? Nozzle, transformer or electrode gapping based on the fact that it has run perfectly until it ran out of fuel?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Nozzle is a likely culprit given you ran out of oil and could have sucked some crud into the line. Beyond that the electrode gapping is as follows: tips are 1/16" ahead of the face of the nozzle, 1/8" apart and 5/16" above center of nozzle. You can check the transformer with a heavy (plastic handle) screwdriver,shut off the oil valve on the pump, release the screws holding the transformer down then swing it back on its hinge and put the blade of the screwdriver on one terminal of the transformer and hold the tip 1/2" away from the other terminal and hit the reset button. If the arc doesn't jump the gap then the transformer is weak and should be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't replace the nozzle until store opens on Monday. Can a good cleaning make due
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I never tried to "clean" a nozzle so I don't know if that will work or even how you'd do it. You could check to see of the nozzle is clogged by removing the nozzle assembly then reconnect it to the tubing from the pump outside the burner. Direct the nozzle towards a bucket then restart the burner. If you get a nice "cloud" of oil then the nozzle probably isn't the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After swinging the transformer back to me I put the blade of a screwdriver on the threaded portion of one terminal the rotated the shaft of the screwdriver so it was 1/2" away from the other threaded termi. I then flipped the red emergency shut off switch to on and hit the reset button. Burner started but Saw no spark. Tried once more but the burner this time would not start. Does this seem conclusive enough that I need to replace the transformer?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If the transformer isn't generating a spark then your burner isn't going to fire.