Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a White Rodgers thermostat on my hot water heater, an

Customer Question

I have a White Rodgers thermostat on my hot water heater, an Intellevent 37E74A301P1 that continuously goes on vacation. It comes on and the pilot light comes and when the burners kicks on it dies out and shuts down. Any suggestions. Could really use some help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What LED's (besides Vacation) are lit when it locks out? How long does the burner stay lit? What brand water heater?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hot water heater is a Solid State gas, the main burner kick in for about ten to fifteen seconds
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what other LED's are lit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 6th and seventh heat lights comes on the first time then it kick on to vacation on the third try
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry we seem to be having an issue with the phone call option. We should be able to resolve this here. There has to be more than just the vacation LED light up when it locks out. This will indicate the error/fault. If you aren't getting a readout now unplug the heater then plug it back in again in a minute or so then tell me what it displays.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still looking , but all the lights come on and I reset them to the proper heat, and after the third try again it goes on vacation with the 6th and seventh lights still on
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, back in a few after I look that up
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, first there are only 6 LED's so the 7th doesn't exist. I'm assuming you mean the last 2 on the right. If this is accurate then the error indicates there is an internal problem with the control and it will have to be replaced. If the heater is more than 8 years old it may not be worth the expense to replace the gas control valve since the heater is nearing the end of its expected life and could leak at any time. If its less than 6 years old then this may be a warranty issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome