Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Yesterday we paid someone $220 to come to our home and check

Customer Question

Yesterday we paid someone $220 to come to our home and check our amana ac unit that wasn't working. He came in, flipped our breaker switch and it worked. Now today we shut it off to go to work and now we have been trying to turn it on all night and it won't work again. The fan outside isn't spinning. Please help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! I'm sorry for your continued issue. I know that's frustrating and the heat just adds to it! The obvious thing for me to say would be reset your breaker again but I'm sure you already checked that! On repeated breaker trips, sometimes the breaker won't reset easily. In that case you may have to very firmly and quickly turn the breaker to the off position and back to on with authority as well. If the breaker feels spongy at all, your breaker may have failed. If the breaker continues to trip after you reset it, or nothing at all happens when you reset it, then chances are you have a problem in the outdoor unit with your compressor that the tech didn't catch (or was in too much of a hurry to reset a breaker and collect your money!). It's possible your compressor is having a hard time starting or has seized up completely. It could need a new capacitor, an added start assist capacitor or perhaps an even deeper issue too. Sometimes there is a breaker or fuse in the disconnect switch at the outdoor unit on the wall. You should check for that and reset or replace fuses if necessary. Let me know if you'd like help opening the control panel and diagnosing exactly what the issue is. That would require a multimeter at the very least and perhaps an amp clamp current meter as well. I would need to know your proficiency at using those instruments and the make and model number of your outdoor unit too. Thanks,Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Brian we are trying to reset the breaker now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had done it before but will try with force and checking for the spongeyness as you suggested above
Very good. Let me know how it turns out! I'll help anyway I can! Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work sadly and it's too dark to see much out there so we will need to try again tomorrow. Do we write back here tomorrow when we are working on this again?
Yes, even if you log out, you can just log back into the site and navigate to this question and just use reply. If you wan't you can just leave the window open too. Either way is fine. I'm usually online from noon-ish to midnight-ish eastern time. I wish I could have helped you get some relief tonight! If you have the ability to take digital pictures, a picture of the unit control panel with the cover removed may shed some light on your problem for me. You can upload them here using either the paper clip icon in the formatting toolbar at the top of the reply dialog box or if you don't have the paperclip icon, use the Attach Files button on the lower left of your reply dialog box. Make sure you turn power off to your outdoor unit before removing the control panel cover! Thanks a try to have good night!Brian