Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My lenox 13hpp stopped cooling lady night. Changed filters,

Customer Question

My lenox 13hpp stopped cooling lady night. Changed filters, shut off at breaker for fifteen minutes, restart blows cold for thirty seconds then blows warm. Suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Tell me does indoor unit stay running and is thew compressor staying on or cutting off in the outdoor unit>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan blows inside but it sounds like the outside shuts down then blows warm. Unit is two yrs old. Filters were in good shape but I replaced them anyway
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to a set of gauges so we can troubleshoot? It sounds like unit may be cutting out on either low or hiogh pressure/ SEe below:http://i.imgur.com/KApT0SP.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir, I do not.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Let me get you to do this. Coming from outdoor unit there are 2 copper lines going to indoor coil, Turn unit to Cool and feel of the large copper line and tell me if it gets ber can cold during the short time it stays on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I call a tech?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going up on roof now.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Ultimately if you do not have the hvac tools like gauges and meters, you will probably have to. It sounds like the unit is cutting off on either a low or high pressure switch.May be low on freon or have a malfunction component causing pressure switch to cut out.But we can go as far as you are capable of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took off panel by the jack. Compressor kicks on, tubes cool, kicks off in a thirty seconds maybe less
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK but after the short while it shuts down correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
THis is going to require calling in a tech ,It sounds to me like the indoor metering device is malfunctioning. What happens is the compressor starts , pumping refrigerant and if metering device in coil is stopped up or not opening to allow refrigerant through coil, the refrigerant can not get back to unit so low pressure switch shuts it down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
THanks for allowing me to help.Wish it had been a simple fix we could have taken care of without having to call in a tech.