airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My thermostat is set at 71 (since yesterday) and it reads 77.5.

Customer Question

My thermostat is set at 71 (since yesterday) and it reads 77.5. I had an HVAC tech in this morning and he added r22. Do you think it could be the thermostat?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thermostat is a psg medallion
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!It may not be the thermostat. Is the outside unit running continuously? Is the suction line cold and sweating? Also, if you could measure the air temperature across the coil at the return and then above the supply, these things will help me determine what the problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, questions are too technical. yes, the unit is running continuously. I don't know what a suction line is and I don't know how to measure the air temperature. I live in a hi-rise condominium. It has to be something with the thermostat. Do you know if psg medallion thermostats have batteries? If so, how do I remove the cover to replace them? I just spent $450 this morning and I am hoping for a simple fix.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Some of the Medallions have batteries and some do not,You should be able to press down on top center of cover and hinge forward to see if has batteries. Is it getting cold in house just not reading properly or is ac not cooling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is warm to cool (doesn't feel like the thermostat reads at 78, but definitely not as cool as the setting of 71).
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Can you get to the indoor coil?If so , there are 2 copper lines coming from the outdoor unit. Feel of the larger copper line and tell me if it feels cold like a drink from the ice chest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's ok. I give up.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK if unit is running but not getting the house cool your thermostat is most likely doing its job.