A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
8655086

Can I replace the older round Honeywell thermostats with the

Customer Question

Can I replace the older round Honeywell thermostats with the Honeywell smart wifi thermostats if I have Honeywell hz311 installed? Heating and cooling. It appears to be a 4 wire feed into the thermostat with a jumper across the R screws.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. You should be able to but you may and probably will need a 5th wire from the heater (this is where the 4 wires are feeding from). You should see a C terminal on the heater, this is a 24 volt common and the new thermostat will need this. The connection on the thermostat would be C also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Would the wire that is already there have a fifth unused wire or do I need to string new wire?
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 1 year ago.
There could be a 5th fire that is not being used and may be pushed back behind sheet rock . Have seen it both ways. Sometimes the installer uses 5 lead wire and sometimes 4 lead. Will be hard to tell until you disconnect old t-stat. Be sure and mark color of wire and what terminal it goes to. A picture before disconnecting is always helpful.
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 1 year ago.
I didn't hear back from you so I suppose you got your new thermostat up and running. If you found my service to be helpful, please return and rate my service for me. If further assistance is needed, please let me know.
Thank you,