Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Bryant A/C about 10 years old. Recently, it quit running,

Customer Question

I have a Bryant A/C about 10 years old. Recently, it quit running, so I checked the compressor motor start cap. It was bad. The cap is a dual type that also runs the outside fan motor. When I turned the power back on, the fan started running but the compressor did not. I checked the warning code (6 short flashes), and that told me that the PTC thermister reading was too high. The spec said it should be below 7.5K normally. Even after the compressor had completely cooled down, that thermistor read 20K or so (when disconnected from the control board). So, I put a 4K resistor across the thermister terminals on the control board. It STILL did not start. Then I found the wires to the coil of the high speed relay and put voltage on them. The compressor DID start this time, but now I believe that my refrigerant level is low. The high side got hot, but the output of the evaporator was not cold. So I suppose I will get it recharged - but will it start then?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Your pressure control has you out. Check charge on system and add refrigerant and leak check to find leak. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what about the PTC resistance that is too high? The PTC's are inside the compressor case and it doesn't look like they can be easily replaced. And why does the error code continually flash 6 flashes? That code is for a PTC value that is too high, yet when I short those terminals, I still get the same code.
And once the refrigerant level gets to normal and pressures are OK, will I have to RESET something?
Yess it will start once you get it charged. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to add refrigerant if I'm going to have to replace the compressor.
You will need to install gages to see what the pressure is on system. Your code may clear when you add refrigerant. Russ
Model number of unit please. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bryant model number 598AN048-D
Checked flow charts and compressor needs replaced. That is an older 2 speed. Com,pressor may cost as much as a new system, Russ