Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Thermostat working, AC not.. Suggestions?

Customer Question

It seems that our ac has stopped working. The "cool on" indicator has stopped flashing and is on consistently since  I just changed the batteries in the thermostat. Our thermostat is set for 72, but it says it's 83 in the house. Now it just now sounds like it's on outside, but doesn't seem to be blowing very hard through the vents inside and what is blowing isn't very cool (not warm though). Would there be anything else we can try without calling a technician?

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The cooling coil might be blocked with ice, examine the largest copper tube attached to the outside unit and tell me if it is cool, sweating or frosty. If its just cool, use a thermometer poked into one of the cold air outlets inside the house and tell me what temperature it reads when the system should be cooling, and then use the *same thermometer to tell me what the room air temperature is in front of the systems return air grill. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't. Nothing is working now. The thermostat is flashing "Cool On", the system outside isn't doing anything, and the temp has gone up to 85. The copper pipe isn't frozen

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,There is either no 230 volt power to the outside unit, or no 24 volt control power, you will need a multi meter to measure those voltages if that is in you skill set range. If that is not in your skill set range tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will locate a few well rated service companies in your area that specialize in the type of equipment you have. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called a heating and cooling technician to fix our AC unit today. We had a bad capacitor, but wouldn't have known that using your suggestions because I didn't have the equipment you said I should test it with. Thanks anyway.