Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

All of a sudden our AC quit working. therm is working properly,

Customer Question

all of a sudden our AC quit working.
therm is working properly, fan spins freely, breaker seems ok, can you give me some ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Tell me please a lot about your technical background and skill sets, and if you have a multi meter or not, I can coach you most effectively from there. ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No tech background, no multi-meter, just curious as to what went wrong with my hvac
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Primary causes of failure in the order most likely here are: 1. Dirty heat exchange coil on the outside unit (big radiator like thing around the outside area of it). The dirt prevents cooling so that unit goes off on its its high pressure cut out switch. 2. Failed electronic circuit boards inside the furnace and sometimes the unit that sits outside. 3. Refrigerant leaks... cause unit to go off on its low pressure cut out switch. If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city I can look around for one or two well rated service firms in your area. ------------We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.