Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My outside Brian unit is humming but nothing is turning

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bryant unit. Upstairs unit blowing but not getting cold
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, tell me please if the unit that sits outside the house is running or not. We can go from there. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one is not running I use a stick to turn the fan and the fan is turning freely but it's not running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is just humming the fan is not turning or any other activity
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I check next
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I must come and go to take the stream of questions that come in.The outside unit is OFF due to no power to it, or a tripped safety control the unit, or a defective thermostat. If you have a multi meter and some skill with it, I can coach you on trouble shooting it. If not tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will look for a few well rated service companies for you. We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to be getting power because when I switch on the outside breaker it hums and when I turn off the power it stops
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, when I tuen fan with a stick it keeps turning slowly for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multi meter and know how to use it.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, so far it sounds like a bad dual run capacitor, that is bad on both the compressor side and the fan side. If you can attach a photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of control box cover, close up and well focused and a few pictures of the entire controls area from about 5 feet away I can coach you on a diagnosis. Use the paper clip icon at the top right of your reply box for that. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the fan motor would not keep turning after I switched it on and spun it I thought it probably was not the capacitor and was perhaps the
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought is was the fan motor because it would not stay stay spinning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the rest of the pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was waiting to hear back from you but I thought if it was the capacitor when I spun it with a stick the fan would start at full speed and bypass the capacitor
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
http://screencast.com/t/MdRmSFQ1G
follow those directions please, tell me what you find. If your multi meter does not have a micro farad scale on it you will need to buy one that does $30 to $50 at Home Depot or Lowes etc.
Use a 10 ohm resistor to short the capacitor terminals across, C to F and C to the compressor terminal on the capacitor to be ultra safe. some techs just use a screw driver but that can be dangerous if the power is not OFF.
We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I checked with my reader between c and f i got no reading and between c and comp I got 3.48. I assume I did it correctly and wanted to let you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reconnected that connections to the capacitor and started the power. The outside ac unit just hummed as before with the fan not turning. However, this time when I turned the fan blades with my screwdriver they kept turning but at half speed. What do you recommend to do next and can I bypass the capacitor and have the fan work by me starting it turning with a screwdriver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the fan stopped working also. I think I am just giving up on the chat as it is taking so long and I don't think its going to work. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
3.4 microfarads is close for some fan capacitors, compare that figure with what is stamped on the side of the capacitor... if its a good reading, and the two match, then the fan motor is most likely going bad.
If you run the fan motor without the capacitor or at half speed after you push start it, it will over heat and burn out, not to mention not move enough air when the compressor is running.
So far it seems that you will need a good HVAC man to come out to do this work (the college course is 2 years, then 4 years apprenticeship beyond that, it is not nearly as simple as might appear).
Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will look for a well rated outfit or two who can do this work.
Let me know what you think, we can go from there any way you like.
.