Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am using boiler mate as heat ex changer hot water.

Customer Question

I am using boiler mate as heat ex changer for solar hot water. I have an Amtrol set point controller and would like to know how to wire the set point controller to operate 110 volt heat dump valves.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I don't follow your config. Is the boilermate your back up DHW? where are you dumping heat to? the boiler mate? I'm not sure what you mean by "an Amtrol set point controller". Are you referring to the built in boilermate controls or do you have a separate controller? if the latter I need a model number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
numbers on it are:
98160327(###) ###-####131R
Model is not written next to any of these numbers.
It is a built in control and it just has a set point. It is for DHW and I am dumping it to an outside radiator.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok first you can't use the boiler mate control to operate an excessive heat dump. DHW is domestic hot water. So besides the solar you need a back up DHW source for days when the sun don't shine. It sounds to me like the boiler mate is that back up. Do you have a separate solar hot water storage tank? what are you using for a controller for the solar? is the solar a closed loop or a drain back system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using the boilermate as a preheater to the electric hot water heater
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What are you using for a solar controller? is the solar closed loop or drain back? you mention an electric water heater, does it have a solar coil in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Closed loop, no controller would like to use theromstat in boilermate to protect against overheating through the heat dump. Boilermate has it's own internal coil which preheats the domestic water for the electric hot water heater.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You can't do this without a solar controller. It's not safe to operate a solr hot water system without a controller. I'm very familair with the boilermate and the internal aquastat relay in the boilermate can't be used for this purpose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does a solar controller do? It controls flow and temperature correct?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
It senses (with remote sensors) tank and collector temps and turns the pump on and off accordingly. Most of them also have a temp overload feature which is what you'd use to control your heat dump solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 valves one is normal ope one is normal closed when the set point is reached water being circulated by the circulator pump will be diverted to the heat dump instead of the boilermate. I have an expansion tank in my closed loop system.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You still need a controller.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
With your config you could be burning fuel (whatever your boiler uses) to heat the outdoors