Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Cani have an evolution air handler and a non evolution bryant

Customer Question

cani have an evolution air handler and a non evolution bryant heat pump, will they work together ?
My acoil continues to freeze up, previous equipment was 4 ton and 4 ton. bryant---i have a feeling my duct work may be an issue. upstairs additon was added 15 years ago and air handler is a down flow design. frustrated with present bryant dealers suggestions. please help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Brian and I'm here to help! As long as the coil and metering device of the new air handler are rated for the refrigerant the outdoor unit is using, you should have no problem using an Evolution air handler on a non-Evolution outdoor unit. You will have to wire the air handler in Legacy mode (conventional, non-communicating mode) to the thermostat and outdoor unit. If you have a smaller than required duct system, many times a variable speed blower can correct for that since it will ramp the blower up automatically to try to match the desired airflow the system requires and the air handler is set for. The fan curves on variable speed air handlers are typically able to handle much higher static pressure than standard PSC single or multi-speed motors with standard blowers. This could indeed solve your problem if it is marginal duct related. Please reply back with further questions. Otherwise, if I have answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate positively before you leave! Bonuses are welcome and very much appreciated! Thank you, Brian