Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

We installed a Payne downward flow HVAC SYSTEM. We keep getting

Customer Question

we installed a Payne downward flow HVAC SYSTEM. We keep getting water that gets past the pan into the duct below and we already changed the coil but the water keeps getting blown past the safety of the drip pan.
The system is a Carrier but is called Payne. Its installed in a brand new home and not even 6 months old as the weather in Chicago has been so below normal that we have not need it. The clients are about to move in and I am out of excuses as a GC and my sub has done everything we can think of
Please help
John k
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, I'm Brian and I'm here to help! There are a few things that can cause this. If the water is actually being blown off of the coil and into the airstream, it could be duct related with odd air currents (eddies and vortexes and such) that pick up the water as it tries to flow down the coil. This can sometimes be corrected with lower blower speed or by installing turning vanes into the supply duct plenum to flow the air more smoothly. I have also seen many times that it is simply a matter of poor surface tension on the coil not allowing the condensate to run all the way down the coil into the pan and the water drips off mid-coil. That issue can usually be solved by spraying a surfactant of some sort on the coil surface. A very mild soap solution works good or a quality leave-on no-rinse evaporator coil cleaner can do the job. It's also important to make sure the unit is either level or slightly sloped toward the drain connection. It's important the unit has a proper, and deep enough, P-trap on the drain line. If the drain line is double trapped, the water can become hydraulically sealed (vapor locked) in the drain line and the pan will hold too much water and be blown out. These are the most common of the uncommon causes of this symptom I have seen. Please reply back with further question. Otherwise, if I've answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate positively before leaving. Bonuses are welcome and very much appreciated! Thank you, -Brian