Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

AC outside unit at my rental was humming, fan not running (unless

Customer Question

AC outside unit at my rental was humming, fan not running (unless I gave the blades a push) not sure how long my tenant had the thermostat set to cool, but it was on and he had been gone for awhile...motor mount area was hot and slight burnt oil smell...feared motor was out, but optimistic it was just the capacitor when I could push start the blades...replaced the capacitor this morning and now I do not get anything, not even the humming noise...I didn't have multimeter with me because I thought it was a 5 minute fix and on my way...checked the breaker, the contactor has a slight buzz sound to it is pulled in on its own...there is no play in the shaft of the motor and it will not push start now, but blades spin very freely
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your AC unit. If replacement of the run capacitor did not work, the fan motor itself is bad if receiving voltage from the contactor. This can be verified with a voltmeter set to "volts AC" and measured on the load side (T1 and T2) of the contactor. I'm betting it's the motor, however.