Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We got home tonight and noticed that no cold air was coming

Customer Question

We got home tonight and noticed that no cold air was coming out of our vents even though the thermostat was set to on/70 degrees. Then we heard a dripping sound inside the closet where the heating/air unit is, alongside the water heater. It was dripping, cold water. Now the unit inside the house (not the one on the roof) keeps turning on liking it's trying to do something, a little water trickles in and drips, it stops, the unit stops and we wait until it goes again.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** will be my pleasure to assist you. The water dripping into the unit is not good. It is probably shorting something out. Turn the power off to the inside unit at the breaker also turn the air conditioning off. If the water is dripping then the drain to the unit is plugged or the coil is icing up. If the coil is icing up it could be from the blower inside the closet not coming on. I would let the unit dry out then test the blower to see if it comes on.