BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My Rheem Classic Super Quiet 80 is giving me problems. The

Customer Question

My Rheem Classic Super Quiet 80 is giving me problems. The contactor (outdoor relay) is clicking on and off rapidly. The air conditioning seems to work during high demand. The problem seems to happen when the temerature inside the house gets close to the set temperature or when the air is on for a while. When it is in the clicking mode, it clicks even when the outdoor fuses are pulled and no power to the outdoor unit.
The ari conditioning tech changed the control board, the wifi thermostat to a manual one, and now the contactor. The problem is still there.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
What is the voltage value at the contactor when this occurs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AS tech said the voltages are normal, but he used an AC meter rather than an o-scope to see any spikes. This was the reason he decided to change the Control Board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serviz Tech
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
is there a water safety switch on a drain or pan in series with the low voltage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Outside or inside the house? The tech is not here now, but I could check but I need a hint of where to look
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
the issue is strictly in the 24v circuit. from the time it leaves terminal R in thermostat to the time it gets to contactor.
If you find circuit board in furnace and the terminal R with a red thermostst wire...then follow that red wire...does it go straight to thermostat or to a switch in a drain pipe or pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it goes to the switch in the PVC like you say and then up into the attic...somewhere
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
That water switch in the drain is a very common cause of the chattering.
If the drain is slow it pulses the switch..
Do you mind a test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm ready
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Now first...how often is the unit chattering?...if we do a test will we know fairly soon or is this just an occasional thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill check right now
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
standing by
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i put it back together and started it . it takes a few minutes. is the test bypassing the switch?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
correct....usually this happens when the unit has run a long cycle....the condensate is running more and a slow drain throttles the switch...you can also take a shop vacuum to the drain and purge the line.
Bypassing it generally tells us pretty quick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I use the vacuum? suck out the water from the overflow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, I'm unfamiliar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is still clicking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was off for about 1/2 hour so the drain must be really slow or the switch is bad
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
thank you nest is in the outdoor unit...the 2 wires go outside and attach to 2 wires at outdoor unit...then one of those 2 wires goes through low pressure, high pressure and maybe a delay board...what is make model of outdoor unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill go look
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13AJA48A01
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I PULLED THE FUSES AND IT IS STILL CLICKING
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot the brand name, something King
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
wow you got everything...inside the outdoor unit...where the 2 wires attach,,,one is yellow and one is brown...do you see these?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they are on the outside of the contactor
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
correct....but before they go to contactor...the yellow makes some first.
your brown and yellow.....where they wire nut to the wires from house...do you see that junction point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on each side of the contactor
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
correct....but before they go to contactor...the yellow makes some stops first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wire from the house are insulated and goes into a grommet hole, not sure which panel i need to take off to see where they go. The yellow and brown come from a different hole
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
correct...it is the yellow and brown we are talking about...if you can post pics I can direct you quickly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i found the right angle bracket to take off. they are tied directly to the yell and brown, the wire nuts seem ok.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
what we want to do is remove the wire nut from the yellow.....and take the wire from the house and hold it directly to the terminal the yellow is on at the contactor,
This will bypass 2 pressure controls and a delay timer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
this will deduce quickly which way the issue is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm waiting for the clicking problem. It sure looks like the red wire is going directly to the yelloiw. Same for the brown. All I'm doimng is makeing the yellow wire shorter, there are no other connections to bypass. Maybe I don't understand.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
your wires go direct to contactor?....not through any switches before the contactor?
The diagram shows a couple pressure switches and a time delay relay and then contactor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are other wires (besides the heavy gauge wire) on the contactor coming from the outdoor unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at least four wires on a push on terminal that goes to the contactor bottom
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
you see there is 220v (which you have turned off)...the 24 comes from thermostat and closes the contactor...this allows 24v to cross.
That is why it chatters even when power off outside is because that 24v comes from indoors.
If the unit still chatters with the bypass direct to contactor then you your last culprit is transformer in the furnace that generates the 24v.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll check the 24VAC when it starts to dhatter, its not doing it now. I think the transformer is mounted above the control board.
All i have is a VOM, but he tarnsformer can't be too expensive.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
transformer is very affordable.
That will be the last item that can cause this...If you need anything else just return to this thread
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** i understand the system now. We think its an electrical problem and I can work that out. Thanks again.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
you are very welcome.
just rate service and I will move from active list
Billy