Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

The unit is leaking at the top of theunit

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your air handler. When you say the top of the unit, is unit sitting upright or horizontally? What have you checked this far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an upright. I've blown the bottom drain, and added Clorox. Worked for awhile,but started leaking again later.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Is the filter dirty? Any signs of icing on the suction or liquid copper lines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
If the drain line is clear, filter is clean, no icing at the unit, and blower is working OK, there are 2 possibilities as I see it. The system could be low on charge and icing up, EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT SHOWING UP ON THE LINES. The other possibility is that the pan that sits underneath the coil has a hole in it. To check for the hole, the unit must be opened and visually inspected underneath the pan. To check for a system low on charge, a guage set (guages) must be put on the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, let me know if you have any additional questions.