airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Just had a new Goodman 4 ton system installed, the proplem

Customer Question

Just had a new Goodman 4 ton system installed, the proplem is the blower does not turn off and every 10 to 15 minutes it starts to blow heat like the heat strip is acctivated yet it is still on cool. Makes no sense why it would just switch over. The thermostat does click a couple of times. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank in advance.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Tell me what thermostat you are using and how you have it wired. (Verify wire colors in air handler.In otherwords make sure red from air handler is tied to red coming to thermostat)
Also do you have a multi meter for troubleshooting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim, I'm Steve. The thermostat is an Emerson Easy Reader Universal Programmable Thermostat 1F95EZ-0671. I have reviewed the wires but i haven't looked behind the thermostat yet. I have spent most of my time in the attic and outside at the compressor. I do have a multi meter also.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
When t starts to blow warm doe the HEAT show as on and does AUX display on thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir, it clicks a couple of times then starts to blow really warm air. I also was outside when it switched over and the lines (copper) made a flushing sound (best I could describe.) Then the air from at the compressor was really cool. Also, a gentleman I know here that works on A/C's said it sounded like a short. I replaced the Tstat wire from the air handler to the compressor. I removed one wire at a time to insure i didn't cross wires. When I was in the attic rewiring. i noticed that an orange and brown wire were crossed. I swapped them around and there was no difference.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK that flushing sound is the reversing valve switching from cool mode to heat mode. Your unit reverses in the COOL mode, or in other words when thermostat calls for cooling. If that valve is swishing back into heat mode, that means that either we are loosing the 24 volts to the reversing valve solenoid or the solenoid is weak and not holding the valve in cool mode.
So first step is to unplug wire from solenoid and stick meter probes into the black plug that you unplug from solenoid and see if we are maintaining 24v or it is dropping out.
http://i.imgur.com/IGVlpjT.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now I am at work so I will try that as soon as I get home and let you know what i find out. Sorry for the delay.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.Look forward to hearing back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning, ok, I tried to test the solenoid, after I got to it I was unsure what to do. I turned off the power and removed the fan and grill on top. Dumb question, what do i do with the fan? I couldn't test the voltage, i just tested the ohms, which i know wasn't the goal that read 020. I watched a video and of course his solenoid was outside the fan where he could access it. I'm sorry I don't mean to waste your time.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
The fan will have to stay on unit and unit be running. You should be able to access the solenoid through one of the lower panels.If not, you may have to open unit and attach a jumper wire with alligator clips long enough to get outside lower panel to check to make sure we are maintaining 24v to the solenoid.