Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have lennox elite centerl air that won't turn on

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems every year when I use this air conditioner for the first time there is a secret switch or command that I have to do to get it working.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Does anything start with the outdoor unit? Have you checked the breaker or disconnect on side of house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the breaker.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Thank you..
but does anything happen in the outdoor unit? compressor runs but fan does not..fan ones but not compressor or nothing runs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing run outdoors - the only thing I hear and feel is the fan - not the fan on the air conditioner outside but the lower fan??
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
The part outside runs on 240 volts...2 separate 120v lines.
Are you comfortable getting into the outdoor unit?
Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am ok getting into the unit. will also get a voltmeter.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Billy had to leave. Tell me when you have a volt meter so that you measure the voltage **between** the the two power lines that feed the unit, you can measure at on the bottom side of the disconnect switch or fuse block mounted on the wall next to the unit. It should read 230 volts approximately. If you have power there, I need you to send me clear, well focused, close up photo's of the wiring diagrams glue to the inside the furnace or air handler service panel, and the electrical controls box cover inside of the unit that sits outside. Use the paper clip icon above your reply box for that. We can go from there. .
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Please hold your rating until we get the system fully diagnosed, so far we are on step one of information gathering.