Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I'm being offered a Rinnai Energysaver 1004F that is 10 years old (confirmed) for $40

Customer Question

I'm being offered a Rinnai Energysaver 1004F that is 10 years old (confirmed) for $400-$500. What can I check as a lay person to be assured I'm not being taken? Is this a good model?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Unless you can withhold payment until/unless you can see the unit functioning properly buying this unit is not a good idea. There's no way even a pro can evaluate the viability of the unit unless it's functioning. It may seem like a good price considering the cost of a new one but this is a very complex unit and 10 years is more than enough time for some very expensive components to fail not to mention the very expensive repair costs by a properly trained tech. Yes it's a good unit but I'd avoid a second hand one particularly one this old