Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have an AC in attic in house just built 4 yrs ago. Model

Customer Question

Hi, I have an AC in attic in house just built 4 yrs ago. Model ARUF193116BA SN#(###) ###-#### I noticed a couple weeks ago that water was filling up in pan. i drained water and replaced air filters, which seemed to help with humidity in house, but water is still filling up on pan. Water droplets is forming under bottom ac unit. The heat here has been in the 100s past couple weeks. I'm not sure if this normal, if the drainage are clogged, and clogged which pipes to take apart? Any advice?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help! That's a very common occurrence in ac systems. If this is the first time you've experienced this, chances are good it's just a clog in the primary drain line or the p-trap attached to the primary drain line. The best way to clear a clog like that is to follow the primary drain line out of the air handler itself and find where it exits outside. Connect the hose of a wet/dry vacuum to the end of the line and suck the drain line out for a couple of minutes. That should clear the clog. If it happens again relatively quickly (like this summer again), you (or an ac tech) may have to open the air handler and vacuum out the entire primary drain pan that is in the air handler beneath the evaporator coil. Please reply back if you have further questions/concerns. Otherwise, please remember to rate positively before you leave today. Bonuses are welcome and always appreciated! Thank you,Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks! I'm not afraid to work on it. I like working on things, but this is my first AC fix. How do I know which drain is primary? I will attach pictures to make it easier for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From those pictures that I sent, the line to the left goes straight down to middle of house. The one to the right goes under AC and I think out to the side of my house. I think its the pipes that's right under the eave.
Ok thanks for those pictures! Wow they have your unit taped up good! It's gonna be pretty tough to get in there and lay eyes on the drain pan! The line on the left is the Primary drain and chances are that's the one that's plugged. Although both of those lines with P-traps and caps on top may be plugged since the water overflowed into your air handler (I can tell that because you said the underside of the air handler was sweating and dripping). I would find where that left line exits your home and vacuum that end, I would also take the caps off both of those traps at the air handler and vacuum both of those out. That should take care of it. You can run the blower constantly with the thermostat in the fan ON position to help speed up the dry out of the inside of the air handler. The air handler may still sweat and drip a bit for awhile until the water inside it dries out. Reply back with further questions about this if you have them. Thanks, -Brian