Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Mark - having trouble with my trane air handler. I live in an apartment building, and

Customer Question

Hi Mark - having trouble with my trane air handler. I live in an apartment building, and the air handler clicks on when I put my thermostat to cool, then the compressor kicks on, blows cool. Then 10-15 minutes later the compressor shuts off while the fan stays on and no longer blows cool. It won't blow cool again until I turn the unit on and off completely. Do you think it could be a short? Or low refrigerant?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also just opened up the unit face and realized there is a small pool of water under the unit. There is a drip pan of sorts, and it has a drain out, but it doesn't look like the water is draining. There is also a wire that connects from the back on the trane unit to what looks to be a ground of sorts, and that was sitting in the water. Probably not good :-/
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, So far it sounds like the condensate drain line is clogged up and that there is float switch built into a tee in the line with two wires attached ... the two wires are in series with the units control system so that when the drain is clogged, the float rises and shuts the unit off. http://screencast.com/t/i8svNKshnuqu That will be the first thing to check...step one of whatever trouble shooting we end up doing, We can go from there, if I miss you tonight I will pick up your response first thing in the morning. ----------We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today or tomorrow after we have solved your problem, I will appreciate it. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions within your agreed on limit at no additional cost. .