Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am very confused. I have a Rheem RMB-030JBZ. Late last

Customer Question

I am very confused. I have a Rheem RMB-030JBZ. Late last summer the fan wouldn't start and I had a small independant contractor come out and look at it. He decided it was the capacitor. He didn't have the exact cap but had a universal cap. I said it was
fine to use the universal and he did. I didn't notice any issues the rest of the season. It has be a very mild spring here in Colorado, but a few days ago we noticed the fan wasn't running again and it was buzzing. It seems that it was overheating. I called
him out the next morning and of course the thing was running great but the motor was scalding to the touch. He couldn't source the parts locally and is extremely busy and I am extremely impatient. I looked up the part numbers for the motor and sourced it at
our local Grainger. Here's the rub the motor is a 5uf. But when I look up the part number for the capacitor based upon model it is a 3uf. The universal he installed is a 5uf. My question is if I match the cap to the motor am I good?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.You are correct, you should always match the capacitor to the nameplate rating on the motor.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to see the microfarad rating on the motor nameplate?