Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Am in San Bernardino ca My unite. Stop cooling

Customer Question

Am in San Bernardino ca
My unite. Stop cooling
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Can you tell me if there is a unit that sits outside the house that runs in just the summer time or if it runs in the winter as well. I need to know the brand and model number of the outside unit, and a lot about your technical skills and experience with working on appliances, and if you have a multi meter or not. We can go from there. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Yes there is a unite outside I have a NORDYNE MODELMIMB056ABW
SERIAL #M1D020102245.
A furnace inside and its a heater as well thermostat inside
And is a mobilehome build 2005 and its never been service
I was told to re-set switch outside but I prefer that a protectional will check
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Your unit outside is 10 years old, and has never been cleaned, the odds are in the 99% range that condenser coil is dirty. It should be cleaned, after that we can go from there.
A dirty coil *looks* clean, the dirt however is lodged deep between the fins where it blocks air flow needed to keep it cool, when that happens the unit goes off on its high pressure cut out switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDtT6hSpV4s
You can buy the foaming coil cleaner at Home Depot or Lowes, you need at least 2 cans. The chances are in the 80% range that cleaning the coil will resolve the problem.
After that you can look for a one inch diameter hole in the cabinet somewhere where around the electrical wire connects. If you see that, there is a red button inside that you can push that will start the unit... that is the high pressure safety cut out reset switch.
Let me know how all of that goes, we can proceed from there as needed without a time limit, unless you choose to rate my ongoing advices negatively, that will close the question. There are 6 or 8 other things we can look into if needed. You will need a multi meter to assist me in that.
------------
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions within your agreed on limit at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Phil
Do you know a Ac maintenance
Technician that can do that for me
I work nights and do not function too good doing this source of activities.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, that is a big county, over 20 miles long, 30 miles driving. It will be best if I know which end of San Bernadino you are one, or which direction you are from one of the towns in the county. We want to find an outfit that will not charge you $200 just to drive over to your place. Ideally one just down the street with modest charges. We can go from there. Please hold your rating until I find a good outfit for you.