airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Bought a house. Have a trane xl 1200. Was just serviced and

Customer Question

Bought a house. Have a trane xl 1200. Was just serviced and all worked as it should. We moved in and stayed 2 days didnt use it at all. Today its hot. Turned to cool and it is not cooling. Outside heatpump clicks but just hums. Red light blinks slow maybe a blink per second.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Do you have a meter for troubleshooting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Locate the capacitor and tell me if it looks puffy or swollen; See below;
http://i.imgur.com/xwlfLe8.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks good. Has been switched to 2 with a jumper wire
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK if it looks good,since we are hearing the contactors click, we know we are getting 24v signal to contactors. Our next stepis to see if we are getting high voltage to unit and through contactors.
Look and see if they look burned or pitted. See below:
http://i.imgur.com/cQG4hdG.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. All looks like new
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
You can get an inexpensive meter at Walmart , if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I can guide you. Otherwise from here you will need to call a tech in with a meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked fine before a certified tech touched it. That stinks.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I understand the frustration. It sounds like either capacitor is bad, even though not swollen , we are not getting power to the contactors (high voltage) or not getting power through contactors to fan and compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red light blinking does it have a error code or any info
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
There should be a little chart there with an error code list. Do you see one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I don't see the error codes listed in the manual I have. Usually either printed on the board itself or a label on unit panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked every where. No codes
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK the lights are to help us in diagnosing, for example one code may indicate a pressure switch is open, or ne may indicate low voltage to unit, etc.
I can open this to other experts who may be able to tell you what the code is, but ultimately you will still need a meter to diagnose .
Just let me know what you want to do next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No offense but there hasnt been anything here that i havnt checked already
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the response time thru this is awful for some reason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inaint paying for unvaluable info
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I understand you not wanting to pay and the website is on the honor system so you may request a refund .You should see a dropdown list on upper right corner for doing so.
You have been provided a lot of information and guidance and I have offered to help you troubleshoot if you would get a meter.That is the best I can do.
AS for the response time. while we actually working on this my responses were within a few minutes where yours varied from a couple of minutes to 11 minutes to 22 minutes to 35 minutes between responses.
I can not control how long you take to respond.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.
If no expert can help and you are unsatisfied, we can request a refund of your deposit.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasnt meaning that in a bad way nor would i leave a bad review. Everything tou have said i have checked other than testing electrical. Also didnt wasnt blaming you on response time it more rhan lokely was the internet here not u. Why i dislike text email ect ect. Impersonal
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I see no one has picked the question up. I was hoping you would have gotten a tech more familiar with the blink code. Let me know if you are still having issues or if you can obtain that meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called a tech that came out and fixed it cost $200ish bucks. Had to replace a part and the 30 breaker was worn so replaced that too
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Excellent. Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update and for letting me work with you..If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. Expert is not paid for assisting you and question remains open until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost.