airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My outdoor unit stopped working. Not sure why

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a meter at the moment. I'm going to go get one right now
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Excellent. If you can get a meter that reads ac voltage and capacitance. We will go from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thing I did do is replace the batteries in my thermostat and now it tries to turn on but stops
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
To verify if thermostat is issue, remove R and Y and G wires and connect them together to see if compressor and fan will run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan runs but compressor acts like it's going to then stops
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OUtdoor fan keeps running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just the inside one. The compressor acts like it's going to start then shuts off completely
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
THere may be a time delay in the outdoor unit.If so lets give it 5 minutes after turning to cool and see if outdoor will come back on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got the multimeter.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Give me complete model on outdoor so I can pull a wiring diagram. First step will be to turn to COOL then locate control wires where they first enter the outdoor unit and check for 24 volts ac between C and Y wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Xl14i trane. Do you need more than that?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is a series. The model will be on a label on side. Something lie TWR036AAB or 2TTW024
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What color are the c and y and where exactly on the unit would they be. Sorry not good with electrical
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK now will have to figure out what color tech used as field wires, Do you have a control board where wires connect from thermostat marked R,Y,C.O etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model no 4TTX4024B1000AA
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would that be located?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Tell me how many control wires you have.It looks like this is a straight cool so you may only have 2 control wires.If so we want to see if we have 24 volts ac between these to wires when thromostat is clling for COOL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking about the neg and positive charges
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I believe you only have a yellow and a blue control wire in unit.Look at the wires coming fom thermostat and tell me how many there are.If you can upload a photo showing your low voltage wiring, contactors and one of the wiring diagram on panel would be very helpful.